The Tyrant's Castle

Make your way to the top of The Tyran'ts Castle and claim your vengeance!

Roles on Project: Lead Designer, Lead Artist, Lighting & Programming

About The Tyrant's Castle

 The Tyrant's Castle was a project developed for the IGB321 - Immersive Game Level Design unit at QUT. It was a group project wherein we had to develop a set of level tiles, and used them to construct three levels. In the Tyrant's Castle, you play as The Revenant, a soldier who has been captured by The Tyrant King and his forces, who have destroyed your home land. With the help of an ally guard who sets you free, you are set on the path of vengeance, making your way up the castle in order to kill the Tyrant King and end his reign once and for all.

Work I Did On This Project

 This project was developed by myself and two others. I acted as the Lead Designer & Lead Artist as my two teammates were both programmers. During the pre-production phase I was in charge of coming up with the aesthetic of our levels, as well as coming up with the design philosophy for our levels. I first came up with a mood board so we had reference for what aesthetic we were aiming for with our project as well as to gather references for specific elements of the game, such as the camera angle and architecture of our levels.

Using that moodboard I came up with a colour palette for the levels and found a series of textures that would compose the bulk of our levels

I also developed concept art for the characters that would feature in the game

My work also revolved around designing a third of the tiles our levels would be composed of.

Using these tiles along with the other tiles developed by my teammates, we each constructed one of the three levels of the game, with level two being my responsibility

The rest of the pre-production phase involved me writing out the design document for our three levels, a well as planning out the development schedule of the levels over the next month. During production, my main focus was on developing level 2, with some photos below showcasing the level. The tiles were developed by each member of the team, with each of us doing 4, we then changed the aesthetics of them to fit our respective levels. I also did some programming work my own level to make certain elements such as the main gate open once the player had activated three levers found throughout the level.

The bulk of my work on the project, however, was focused on lighting. The scale of our levels and the use of the Universal Render Pipeline meant that the default real-time lighting setup of Unity was not viable, as the number of lights present in our level using a real-time system would cause a significant drop in performance. I was unwilling to compromise on the lighting of our levels, as I strongly felt that they enhanced the mood and atmosphere of our levels, and so I spent much of my time researching different lighting techniques in order to ensure the lighting setup of our levels was of a high quality while also allowing the game to run at an acceptable level of performance. I ended up using light map baking on the level geometry to make the shadows and lighting on them look high quality, and then used light probes in order to give the illusion that moving objects such as the player and enemies in the game were being lit in real-time, but really it is making use of the baked lightmaps of the level to approximate the lighting of these elements. The results of this lighting work is shown below.

Beyond that, I also did programming work for the project at large, implementing systems such as the dialogue and prompt system, as well as the health & mana system.

 

Get in touch at markryanauman@gmail.com